Chase Thompson is a native Texan, born and raised in San Antonio. He is a husband and the father of 2 young children. He knows they’re incredible and his wife deserves all the credit for that! Having his children gave him an entire new level of motivation that he didn’t even know existed until they arrived in the world.
His professional career started in insurance sales and then he moved to the real estate mortgage industry, where he’s been for almost a decade. His started his career in mortgage as a loan originator, and then moved into business development and marketing, an area where he was better able to use his background, talent and skills. He then broke out on his own and today he’s a real estate investor as well as the podcast host of ‘NoteMBA’.
Most Influential Mentor:
- He’s had so many, both with those who are close and those who are far. Within the note space, Robert Woods, who is also his podcast co-host is one of them. He’s one of the best people at having the tough conversations that Chase has ever met.
- For general business, another mentor is James Altucher, also another podcast host. He has great investment mindset and business acumen.
- Not enough people take enough advantage of those ‘mentor from afar’ opportunities, such as books, videos and even email. Don’t be afraid to reach out.
Challenges and Setbacks
- There are always going to be challenges in life and you can get particular about it, such as layoffs or a deal gone bad, but that’s not the big picture.
- Putting too much weight on any one circumstance does no one any good; it’s more important to keep an even keel opinion across the board.
- The bigger lesson is what you do next. That’s a much better metric than measuring pitfalls.
Big Audacious Goals
- For Chase, it’s not totally about the money or any one specific goal or deal.
- He and his wife share a commitment to contribution. They have a certain financial goal each year and, after that, it’s all about contribution.
- The drive to ‘out-give’ their expectations is a motivator for them. The income from his investment business is what allows them do it.
Common Trends He Sees
- It’s all about the Internet and the technology.
- When you take a step back and think about what it has allowed us to do in the last 18-20 years, it’s incredible. It is literally the largest disruption we’ve had in the history of man.
- We’re going to keep seeing more apps and start-ups over the next 24 months that will turn the traditional banking system on its head.
Advice on Being ‘All-In’:
- Surround yourself with as many people as you can that will ‘call you out’ and motivate you. For Chase, these people are the catalyst for him to take action and keep growing and building.
- There’s an interesting opportunity from 9 pm to 2 am that a lot of people don’t take advantage of. Put down the remote and start learning. You can learn so much by the wealth of material that’s available today.
- You don’t know how long you’re going to be here. There’s a ton of opportunity to go ‘all in’ on 4 to 5 things in your life. Take advantage of those opportunities.
- “‘Hustle until your bank account looks like a phone number”